Friday, January 30, 2009

Music: What I'm Feeling - January '09

1. In My Element (entire album) - Robert Glasper
2. Pigeon Hole - Coultrain
3. Radio - Exile
4. Miss Myriam - Jaleel Shaw
5. Daa Ke Daa - Becca
6. We Alright - eMC
7. Props Due - M3nsa
8. I'm Sorry (It Just Ain't Gonna Work Out) - Mayer Hawthorne & the County
9. Jump Off / Fearless (entire album)- Jazmine Sullivan
10. Set It Off remix feat. Dr. Dre - Kardinal Offishall
11. (?) - Sarkodie
12. Abundance - Platinum Pied Pipers

A couple of these are pretty late but needed to be posted anyway.

Robert Glasper's In My Element in particular. Much as I can listen to jazz, I have never had a jazz album on repeat like this since I used to listen to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. The same goes for the Jaleel Shaw track.

Ghana represents in the form of Sarkodie's great piece of political commentary (will post the title when I find it), M3nsa's sublime Props Due, and a beautiful track from a female for a change, Becca's song from the Scorned soundtrack. I should also mention Runaway from Irene (of Irene & Jane fame), produced - I'll bet - by Richie and featuring Asem (both of whom who I mentioned in this blog for Put Me On It awhile back). I love how Richie is giving JQ & Appiatus a run for their money.

Meanwhile, I hope Jazmine wins the Grammys she's been nominated for: Fearless really was a great debut in which she freed herself from any Lauryn comparisons. All that and a brand new verse from the elusive Dr. Dre on Kardinal Offishall's bad-all-by-itself Set It Off.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment